University of Colorado-Boulder
I teach private and group lessons and direct the CU Brazilian Bateria and the CU Latin Jazz Percussion Ensembles.
In private lessons for undergraduate and graduate students, I teach drum set, hand percussion, snare drum, mallet percussion, timpani, and world music.
The Latin Jazz Percussion Ensemble plays Cuban and Brazilian jazz music, choro, mambo, and more on mallet percussion, drum set, congas, and hand percussion. Most of the music is arranged by me and the ensemble, and always features improvisation.
The Brazilian Bateria ensemble plays traditional and contemporary rhythms from the samba schools, blocos, and percussion bands of Brazil. In the tradition of the music, there are no charts–all the music is learned by ear. Some parts and instruments are very approachable by players with limited experience and some parts are very challenging.
Both these ensemble are open to CU students of all majors. Please contact me for more information on participating.
Upcoming concerts can be found here.
Boulder Samba School
I am a co-founder and the Musical Director of the Boulder Samba School, a non-profit organization that fosters the education and performance of authentic Brazilian music in Boulder, CO. The school offers classes in Brazilian music for beginning to advanced percussionists.
The 20 to 30 member performing ensemble Bateria Alegria plays percussion-based music in the style of the samba schools of Rio de Janeiro.
Workshops and Masterclasses
I have taught world music workshops and masterclasses at the following institutions:
- California Brazil Camp, Cazadero, CA
- Indiana University, Bloomington IN
- University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI
- Northern Illinois University, Dekalb, Il
- Colorado State University-Pueblo, Pueblo, CO
- University of Northern Colorado, Greeley, CO
- Colorado College, Colorado Springs, CO
- Naropa University, Boulder CO
- University of Colorado-Boulder, Boulder CO
- Percussive Arts Society Colorado and Wyoming Day of Percussion events
- Percussive Arts Society global event Recreational Drumming: Celebrating Health and Wellness
- Boulder High School, Boulder CO
I’m available to travel to teach workshops, masterclasses and lessons.
I have been teaching private drum and percussion lessons for 15 years. My students have played in All-State honor bands and orchestras, successful local bands and professional orchestras, and have received scholarships to universities as percussion majors.
Lessons are available on:
- Drum set
- Snare drum
- Marimba and mallet instruments
- Concert percussion instruments
- Hand drums
- Afro-Cuban instruments (congas, bongos, timbales, etc.)
- Brazilian instruments (pandeiro, tan-tan, etc.)
- Middle Eastern instruments (dumbek, riq, etc.)
Topics may include:
- Learning songs, solos, and audition repertoire
- Rock, pop, jazz, classical, and world music styles
- Music theory, reading, and ear training
- Band/ensemble playing skills
Lessons are structured to meet the personal goals and interests of each student. All ages and abilities are welcome. Lessons are held in my home studio in Boulder.
I also offer online lessons via Skype and FaceTime.